- 3/4 pound ground sausage
- 3 cups homemade tomato salsa or 1 @10oz can of RoTel diced tomatoes
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 4 eggs
- vegetable oil
- 1 @ 4oz can chopped green chilies or chopped olives if you don’t like the green chilies
In a skillet over medium heat brown sausage all the while breaking it down into crumbles.
Heat a 10″ skillet over medium heat and add about 1/8″ of vegetable oil. When vegetable oil is hot fry each corn tortilla separately until it is lightly browned, turning a couple of times during the process. Set aside on a paper towel to drain.
In a small covered sauce pan over medium low heat warm the tomato salsa.
When the tortillas are all fried, turn the heat down to medium low, wait about 5 minutes for the oil to cool then cracked all 4 eggs into the skillet. Season each one with salt and pepper and fry them. (When I am done frying the eggs I generally put them between 2 paper towels to blot off excess oil)
Assembly of the Huevos Rancheros:
- Place the fried tortilla on a plate or serving platter. Top with 1 tablespoon of salsa and distribute over the entire tortilla.
- Top with fried egg.
- Add 2 tablespoons of browned crumbled sausage.
- Top sausage with 1 more tablespoon of salsa.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the Mexican cheese blend atop of everything.
- Finish all of that off with 2 teaspoons of chopped green chilies or olives. Whatever your preference is.