Please don’t misunderstand, although I have labeled this a Left Over Delight in this blog, that’s because I had all the ingredients in the freezer, all leftovers from previous meals. It’s not unusual for me to cook the Pork Carnitas on the same day I will be using them for a dinner of enchiladas. As for the sauce I generally make my sauces in batches to be frozen just for this purpose. By preparing them ahead it saves me a lot of time making dinner. Believe me I go through enchilada sauce like it’s candy.
Ingredients: yields 18 enchiladas
- about 3 cups shredded Pork Carnitas, (see my recipe Crockpot Pork Carnitas)
- 2 Tb Cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 of a red onion, finely diced
- 1 1/4 cups “Red Enchilada Sauce” (see my recipe)
- 1/2 cup of my “Chipotle Crema Sauce” (see my recipe), optional – if you aren’t going to use this sauce then add this measurement 1/2 cup more of then enchilada sauce.
- 18 soft corn tortillas
- 2 cups of shredded Mexican Cheddar Cheese blend
- 3 Green Onions, sliced for garnish
Preheat oven 350 at spray a large baking dish (13x9x2) with Pam Spray.
Mix together the Pork Carnitas, cilantro and red onion. Combine the Red Enchilada Sauce and Chipotle Crema Sauce. Place a tablespoon or so of the carnitas mixture off-center in the soft corn tortilla. Roll the tortilla and place them next to each other in the baking dish. When all twelve are in the pan pour the Enchilada Chipotle Crema Sauce Mixture over the top, covering each one of them. Sprinkle with the Mexican Cheese and cover with foil. Bake for 15 minutes then remove foil and bake for another 15 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly. Top with the green onions and serve.