I love to cook, but I hate wasting food. So at our house I save all leftovers. There’s always a way to re-purpose them. Here in my recipe “Carnitas Tortilla Casserole” I use leftover Pork Carnitas, leftover Green Tomato Enchilada Sauce and leftover Refried Black Beans when I have them. This time I used a can of La Costena Whole Pinto Beans.
Ingredients: 4 servings
- 10 corn tortilla, quartered, fried, (see my recipe for “Corn Tortilla Chips”) (Store bought won’t work well in this recipe, sorry)
- about 1 1/2 cups of leftover “Refried Black Beans” or 1 @19.75 oz can of La Costena Whole Pinto Beans, drained
- about 1 1/2 cups of leftover “Crockpot Pork Carnitas”
- about 1 cup of leftover “Green Tomato Enchilada Sauce”
- probably 4 handfuls or so of Mexican blended shredded cheese
- Tapatio Hot Sauce, for garnishing (optional)
Preheat your oven to 350.
Spray a 9 1/2 x 9 1/2 baking dish with pan spray. Lay 12 tortilla chips in the bottom. Spoon some pork carnitas over each chip. Then sprinkle with the beans, some of the enchilada sauce and cheese. Now lay 16 chips over that, this time sprinkle the remaining carnitas on top of them. Spoon the beans over this, followed by a layer of the green tomato enchilada sauce and a layer of shredded cheese. Now layer the remaining 12 corn tortilla chips, spoon enchilada sauce on each chip, followed by another layer of the shredded mexican blended cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 20 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly.