- 1 @ 5 pound whole chicken
- 1/2 onion
- 1 small handful shredded carrots
- 3 celery stalks, chopped, divided use
- 3 to 4 large cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 green apple, peeled, cored, cubed, divided use
- 1/4 tsp ground sage
- 2 pinches of dried rosemary
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp all meat seasoning, then more to rub on the outside of the chicken
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- about 2 tsp garlic salt
Slide your fingers between the skin and the meat of the chicken. Loosen it so you can stuff ingredients between them. In your food processor add the onion, carrots, 2 chopped celery stalks, the garlic cloves, half of the apple, kosher salt and the 2 teaspoons of the all meat seasoning. Pulse all of these ingredients until they are finely minced. Rub a couple of tablespoons for the mixture in the cavity of the chicken. Stuff the remaining half of the apple and celery into the cavity also. Now, stuff the mixture in the area between the skin and the chicken meat. Place in a glass bowl, rub the outside of the chicken generously with all meat seasoning. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before roasting. It can rest overnight if necessary.
Preheat your oven to 350 place the chicken in a roasting pan or a dutch oven and bake for 1 hr 45 minutes to 2 1/2 hours for a 5 pound whole chicken. I use the guide of 20 to 30 minutes per pound when roasting chicken. Combine the garlic salt with the melted butter and use this for basting. Baste the chicken every 15 to 20 minutes. You’ll know it’s done when the juices of the chicken run clear.