Our winter has been mild this year, but I don’t need snow and the temperature to be in the teens for inspiration to make a nice crockpot full of Ham & 15 Bean Soup. Just a little rain can inspire me.
Ingredients: Makes about 16 servings.
- 3 to 4 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 summer, yellow squash, sliced or chopped
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 heaping Tb chicken base (I use Das Dutchman Essenhaus)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp ground mustard
- 3 to 4 thick ham slices or ham steaks, cubed
- 1 bag of 15 bean soup, put the seasoning packet aside
- salt for seasoning
In a large crockpot combine all of the ingredients and pour in enough water to cover all of them well. Cook on high for 6 hours or more. Once the beans are very soft, season with salt if needed or add in the seasoning packet if you would like. I generally just throw the packet away.
This recipe makes a lot of soup, but it freezes great for future cold days.