Over the years I have tried and tried to make potato cakes from left over mashed potatoes, never successfully. Well never successfully until now. I used my left over “Baked Mashed Potatoes” ….. and yes, finally, something I can’t get enough of.
- 9 to 12 patties made from leftover cold “Baked Mashed Potatoes”, about the size of a big biscuit, flattened.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten with a fork
- bacon grease or vegetable oil
First thing, make sure the Baked Mashed Potato leftovers are cold, hopefully refrigerated overnight. Patty up the potatoes. I make them about the size of a big biscuit. In a bowl stir together the flour, Italian Bread Crumbs, salt and pepper. In second bowl, add your beaten eggs.
Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat, then add your bacon grease, or vegetable oil if that’s what you prefer. But I promise the bacon grease brings another level of flavor that is wonderful. You’ll need it about 1/8″-inch deep. Fry on each side until golden brown. Serve hot or warm.