What a delight this is. Please forgive me as I can’t remember who originally posted this recipe. I loved it so much I had to re-post it. So….if you’re out there and see it please let me know so I can give them credit for adding such a delight to my breakfast.
Ingredients: yields 4 servings
- 2 apples, chopped (In these photos I used Honey Crisp but Granny Smiths are also a wonderful treat in this recipe)
- 2 cups old fashion oatmeal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup salted sunflower kernels
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 couple of tablespoons of salted butter
- Honey or Maple Syrup (optional)
Preheat your oven to 375. Butter ramekins or baking cups
Stir together the apples, oatmeal, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, brown sugar and sunflower kernels.
In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, olive oil and vanilla. Fold this into the apple oatmeal mixture. Spoon into the buttered baking dishes and dot with butter.
Bake for 25-30 minutes until firm. Drizzle with honey or maple syrup and serve.