Oh what to make for breakfast? I needed something easy but delicious. Mark loves Huevos Rancheros so how about making them into a Chilaquiles dish. So here you have that very idea. Simple, easy and so delicious.
Ingredients: yields 4 servings
- 1/2 pound of ground sausage
- vegetable oil
- 1 dozen corn tortillas, cut into strips or pieces
- about 2 cups of leftover tomato salsa
- ground cumin, garlic salt, ground black pepper
- 5 eggs, whisked well with a little bit of water
- shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 3 green onions, green and white parts sliced
In a medium size skillet, brown the sausage, remove to a paper towel lined plate and set aside to drain. Add about a half-inch of vegetable oil in the skillet and heat over medium. Add the tortilla strips and cook until lightly browned and crisp. In a large bowl combine the sausage, cooked tortilla strips, salsa, a couple shakes of cumin, garlic salt and pepper. Add in a handful of the shredded cheese blend and gently toss it all together.
Preheat your oven to 350 and butter a 9 x 9 baking dish or a glass pie pan.
Spread the mixture into your prepared baking dish. Pour the whisked eggs over the mixture and bake for 15 minutes. Now top that mixture with a couple of handfuls of shredded cheese and sprinkle with the green onions, bake for another 15 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and melted and the eggs are completely cooked. Serve with some Cilantro Crema or sour cream.