Spinach Alfredo & 5 Cheese Casserole
At the end of this recipe you will find 2 optional ingredients that work great in this recipe. So actually this post is 3 recipes in 1, how great is that?
Alfredo Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 Tb butter, salted
- 1/2 of a small yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream (whipping cream)
- 3/4 cup half & half
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 Tb shredded 3 cheese blend of Parmesan, Asiago and Romano
In a small saucepan melt the butter over medium heat, then add the onion and saute until they become soft. Add all the remaining ingredients and stir until well blended. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat, stirring frequently, simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes until the mixture has thicken.
Spinach Cheese Mix Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Provolone cheese, shredded
- 15 ounces Ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded 3 cheese blend of Parmesan, Asiago and Romano
- 2 cups shredded fresh Spinach
- 1/4 cup fresh Basil, chopped
In a large bowl combine all of the ingredients and set aside for assembly.
- 8 ounces of Narrow Egg Noodles (mine are from Das Dutchman Essenhaus) boiled and drained
- 1/3 cup shredded 3 cheese blend of Parmesan, Asiago and Romano
Preheat your oven to 375 butter a 11″ x 7 1/2″ x 1 1/2″ baking dish (aprx size)
- Spread half of the cooked noodles over the bottom of the baking dish.
- Pour half of the Alfredo sauce over the noodles.
- Dot half of the Spinach Cheese mixture by the teaspoon over the sauce and noodles.
- Spread the remaining cooked noodles over that.
- Pour the remaining Alfredo sauce over the last of the noodles.
- Dot again the remaining Spinach Cheese mixture by the teaspoon over the entire mixture.
- Lastly sprinkle the 1/3 cup of the shredded 3 cheese blend.
Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and return to oven to bake an additional 20 minutes. Let rest 5-7 minutes before serving.
(Optional) Shrimp or Chicken Ingredients:
- 12oz peeled, deveined, tail-off medium shrimp or
- 1 pound chicken strips
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 of a yellow onion, finely grated, juices and pulp
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
(Optional Ingredients direction) If you choose to make this dish with the shrimp or chicken strips then combine the garlic, onion and juice & zest of the lemon in a zip lock baggy. Add the shrimp or chicken and marinade in the refrigerator for 2 hours. In a medium skillet saute shrimp until pink then add all the shrimp to the casserole between steps 2 & 3. If choosing chicken then grill the chicken until cooked thoroughly, dice and add between steps 2 & 3.